Clan Little Society of Scotland

AncestryHistorySeptsEmblems
HeraldryNewsJoin UsLinks

THE ARMS of the FORMER CHIEFS of CLAN LITTLE 


In 1672 David was the last Laird of Meikledale and last Chief of Clan Little to register arms. His full coat of arms consists of the shield and the crest: 

The Shield shows the arms - a silver St. Andrew's Cross on a black background. The dominant black and silver (black and white) comprise the livery colors of the Border Littles. 

The crest of the chiefs of Clan Little was a demi-lion in black spattered with silver saltires; in his right paw he holds a cutlass, in his left the cross of St. Andrew. The only splash of color is in the red claws.The Crest rests on a wreath of the livery colors.

A crest was originally attached to the top of the helmet and, like the arms on the shield and surcoat, had the function of identifying the otherwise unrecognizable fully-armored leader to his followers on the field of battle. 

        The Chiefs of the Little Clan had two mottoes:
"Concedo Nulli" 
(no surrender, no retreat, yield no ground)

&

"Fidei Coticula Crux" 


(The Cross is the Test of Truth)
 

    Mottoes popular with later arms-bearing Border Littles have been
"Magnum in Parvo" 
(Great in Little) 

&

"Multum in Parvo" 


(Much in Little)

This site created and maintained by:
A Little Design
Last updated 4.14.00